Rangat Island resides at a distance of 210 kilometres by road and 50 nautical miles by ferry from the capital city, Port Blair. Travellers can reach Rangat Island via government/private buses, ferries or even cabs. Rangat connects to Port Blair via Andaman Trunk Road, and the jolting journey to Rangat roughly takes 6-7 hours. The route crosses Jarawa Reserves on the west coasts of South and Middle Andaman. Ferries from Port Blair, Havelock, Neil and Long Island also lead to Rangat.
- Government Buses: Regular morning bus services are available between Port Blair and Rangat. The primary and the most cost-effective option to reach Rangat from Port Blair is via buses. Bus Terminus in Aberdeen Bazaar, Port Blair is the departure point. These buses are non-air-conditioned despite the fact that it is the lifeline of islanders.
- Private Buses: The 8-hour long journey becomes a convenient one, owing to the comfort of Air-conditioned buses that frequently run on this route.
- Ferries: Another option to reach Rangat is via government ferry. The 5-6 hour long journey follows the route: Port Blair – Neil Island – Havelock Island – Rangat. Boats to Rangat are usually available 4-5 days a week, which is subject to availability.
- Cabs: One can also hire a private cab from the airport to reach Rangat island. The journey ordinarily takes eight hours but can take less or more depending upon your pace.
- Helicopter: The chopper takes under an hour to reach Rangat.
- Tickets for buses are sold at the government Bus depot.
- Ferries are subject to availability and are less reliable as compared to other transfer options.
Getting around Rangat Island is not as complicated owing to the fact that Auto Rickshaws and walking are the primary means of transit.
Buses: Several morning bus services are available between Port Blair and Rangat. You can reach Rangat by opting for buses run by state govt. from Port Blair – The preferred one in which is around 4:30 AM. It takes approximately 8 hours to reach Rangat from Port Blair in a bus. The ticket can be purchased from the government Bus depot. We advise to book it in advance because there is a huge demand for government bus tickets by the locals.
From Bus stand at rangat you’ll have to hire public transport to reach your accommodation place and to do the sightseeing.
Cab : Another way to reach Rangat from Port Blair is by hiring a Private vehicle from Port Blair. It is advisable due to the comfort and assurance offered. You can also opt for a driver who serves as a tour guide for this excursion.
There are two ways to travel via water to reach rangat island-
Government Ferry: This would be a rough route taken by the ferry-Port Blair – Neil Island – Havelock Island – Rangat. It takes approximately 5-6 hours to complete this journey. Please note that the ferry does not sail daily and the ticket bookings open only 1-2 days before the departure. The ticket is issued from STAR ticket counter in Port Blair and the return ticket has to be booked from Rangat island. The cost of the ticket is ?300.
Motorboat: It is advisable to hire a motorboat if you are in a group, The time taken would be less than four hours.